List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE2 is great, fantastic and a wonderful desktop
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2000-10-28 23:07:51

On Sunday 29 October 2000 01:03 am, Stephan Kulow wrote:
|  Rob Kaper wrote:
|  > On Sat, Oct 28, 2000 at 06:44:17PM +0200, Harri Porten wrote:
|  > > > > But one thing I miss is the possibility to config the X-Server
|  > > > > (resolution, color-depth) in the control center...
|  > > >
|  > > > Corel had this as enhancement in their patched KDE 1.1.2, is there
|  > > > any reason it was never adopted?
|  > >
|  > > Apart from portability questions: missing initiative from Corel to
|  > > feed back the patches. We can't check every distribution for usefull
|  > > features and try to merge them into official KDE ourselves.

I think the best way to implement resolution/depth change as it is done in
windows.
=Right Mouse Click on Desktop.
-Properties
-change screen settings (resolution, depth, virtual screen, etc.)

Of course, I see no reason why not to add it to KDM.
As about Depth, solution is simple:
add
xinit  -- -bpp 8
xinit  -- -bpp 16
xinit  -- -bpp 24
variant to startx (xinit) script via drop-down list box in KDM.

Still I am wondering how to change resolution.
Looks like X takes first resolution listed in Screen section of XF86Config.

It is plain text file, so I guess can also be easily modified (just swap
"1024x768" vs "800x600", etc.)
|  >
|  > No, but there should be an exception in case the feature is brought to
|  > attention and it's a core desire of users: it's exactly these
|  > configuration utilities that are also required to really bring UNIX to
|  > the desktop.
|
|  But first we need linux distributions to agree on what XFree they
|  want to ship and where. Corel's one is specific to all the things
|  about Corel's X, Caldera's is specific to that one, RedHat's to
What is so specific with Corel X?

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)