List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE2 is great, fantastic and a wonderful desktop
From:       Lennart Kudling <kudling () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-10-28 22:37:39

>But first we need linux distributions to agree on what XFree they
>want to ship and where. Corel's one is specific to all the things
>about Corel's X, Caldera's is specific to that one, RedHat's to
>that one, SuSE has even a completly different system, etc.
>Now came XF4.0.1 and things are even more different and you say
>we should just take over Corel's? If just it would be that simple.

I'm sorry, that i'm lacking the necessary experience, otherwise i would
code it instead of just talking about it. But: why not define a
common layer between the dirty work (the distribution specific) for such
configuration stuff ? The specific stuff would be handled by a
suse/mandrake/corel/caldera/rh/debian/...-plug-in (meaning: a plugin for
linuxconf, yast, coas, debconf,...)
What does the user have to know ? resolution, monitor, graphic card, color
depth and so on... he and the kcm-author doesnt have to know the details
behind it, imvho. That's the great thing about kde: it's created from the
pov of the user, not of the coder. And in the pov of the user it makes
much sense.
Of course it's not my intention to demand anything from anybody, it's a
proposal. I simply think, it's the right thing (tm) and i'm the wrong
person to do it myself (tm). It would take 10 years for a crappy design.
If nobody cares i do it and i will show you in 2010...