List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: bug: playing mp3's starts loud, gets soft over time
From:       Joseph Cheek <joseph () cheek ! com>
Date:       2000-10-02 21:10:12

it is noticeable enough after playing the song the third or fourth time that you
won't wonder if you found it or not.  here's a step by step repro scenario:

- clean install redmond linux build 20 [2.4.0 test 3 kernel, kde2 beta 5]
- log in as normal user [joseph in my case]
- verify artsd running [ps ax shows artsd -F 5 -S 8192]
- pop in mp3 cd [amd mounts cd in /auto/cdrom, kautorun opens up konq via kfmclient
openURL file:/auto/cdrom]
- click on mp3 file from konq
- verify very loud, turn volume in kaiman down to almost none
- 15 seconds into song, click on song in konq again
- verify you can't hear it, turn up volume in kaiman to hear it
- 30 seconds into song, click on song in konq again
- verify you can barely hear it, turn volume all the way up in kaiman so that you
can hear it

repeat ad infinitum

key steps:
- you must start each song from within konq
- you must change the volume each time you listen to the song

if you use a playlist or don't change the volume from kaiman/artscontrol/kmix during
playback, this doesn't repro.

Stefan Westerfeld wrote:

>    Hi!
>
> On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 10:49:22AM +0200, Stefan Schimanski wrote:
> > I tried this several times and can't reproduce it. Are u sure that kaiman is
> > shutdown correctly? It installs a volume effect in aRts output stack, maybe
> > it isn't removed for u.
>
> I can empirically confirm it, although I have no scientific proof. Yesterday,
> it seemed to me as playing mp3s gets more and more silent. Restarting artsd
> gets it back to the normal volume. However, maybe it's just that if you hear
> the same problem over and over again, you start believing it. I don't have
> time to really investigate this right now.
>
> What I did is this:
>
> Initialization:
>  * run kaiman (random, with large playlist)
>  * turn the volume not to the fullest (i.e. 40%)
>  * start artsd from within kaiman
>  * kill artsd a few times each time letting kaiman restart it
>
> Bug:
>  * let mp3s play wholly (i.e. don't use skip) for a while
>  * occasionally adjust volume
>
>    Cu... Stefan
> --
>   -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan@space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany