List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: bug: playing mp3's starts loud, gets soft over time
From:       Joseph Cheek <joseph () cheek ! com>
Date:       2000-10-02 18:53:11

hi,

it is artsd, i just tried killing artsd manually.  when kaiman restarted artsd,
sound was back to normal again, and then proceeded to get softer each time i clicked
on a new song in konq.  this *doesn't* repro between different songs in a playlist;
i can go forward and backward in a playlist fine, with no loss of volume.

i've got a repro on two different machines, both running redmond linux build 20.  RL
is based on caldera LTP, so it's got a 2.4.0 test 3 kernel.  sound is OSS based,
using es1371.o on my compaq prosignia and cs4232.o on my thinkpad 600e.
www.redmondlinux.org.  this will probably repro on caldera LTP with beta 5 rpm's,
although i haven't tried it.

kaiman isn't shut down at all; the same kaiman that plays song 1 plays song 2 when i
click on it.  if i do close kaiman by hand, i notice about 1/2 a second of loudness
before the music stops; it's like i turned the volume on all mixers all the way up
at once.  also, about 10% of the time i close kaiman it sigsegv's, although for some
reason it's not reproing right now, it exits fine 8-(.

what can i get to nail down this issue?  is there a way to get debug output, or is
there a trace i can do?  anything specific about my system you need to know?

Stefan Schimanski wrote:

> Am Sat, 30 Sep 2000 schrieb Joseph Cheek:
> > hi all,
> >
> > i have a set of cd's with mp3's on them that i listen to with kaiman in
> > beta5.  i pop in the cd, browse with konq, and click on each cd
> > individually.  kaiman pops up when i click on the first song, plays it,
> > and when it stops i click on another song to listed to it.  all works
> > well, except for the volume.
> >
> > the first song i play always starts out LOUD.  i hurredly tweak kmix and
> > artscontrol to get volumes down to sane levels.  each song thereafter
> > gets progressively softer.  after about a dozen songs kmix and
> > artscontrol have the volumes all the way up [i turn them up by hand] and
> > i can still barely hear the song, it's so soft.
> >
> > after a log out and log back in, sound is back to LOUD levels.  if i
> > just close kaiman it's still soft tho.
> >
> > repro for anyone else?  known issue?   fix by release [hopefully]?
>
> I tried this several times and can't reproduce it. Are u sure that kaiman is
> shutdown correctly? It installs a volume effect in aRts output stack, maybe
> it isn't removed for u.
>
> > [btw kaiman plays .mpg's sufficiently well that i have ditched mtv...
> > but if it would only zoom 2x...]
>
> Tell this Martin Voigt on the Multimedia list. I would really like to see
> this feature too, maybe he will spend time in it if more peope tell him
>
> Schimmi
>
> --
> #! /bin/sh
> for DVDs in Linux screw the MPAA and ; do dig $DVDs.z.zoy.org ; done | \
>    perl -ne 's/\.//g; print pack("H224",$1) if(/^x([^z]*)/)' | gunzip

thanks!

joe

--
Joseph Cheek, Sr Linux Consultant, Linuxcare | http://www.linuxcare.com/