List:       kde-devel
Subject:    ksmserver & "windows have no frames"
From:       Florent Pillet <Florent.Pillet () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2000-08-27 22:38:47

davejd@springmail.com wrote:

> HI!
> Sure someone has noticed this already / windows have no frames and the
> startup process hangs when restoring sessions ....

Yes I have noticed that already. The problem is tricky: ksmserver crashed on
startup because my machine had trouble getting its own IP address. More
precisely, I'm running a Mac PowerBook laptop and change configuration
between home and the office.

What happened is that at a particular moment, doing a "hostname -i" returned
"host ip address could not be found". And I noticed that at this exact
point, KDE could not start properly (same problem as you).

I traced the problem down to ksmserver (in server.cpp,
KSMClient::registerClient) calling SmsGenerateClientID and obtaining a NULL
pointer. From that point on, since there is no guard against this specific
error, ksmserver crashes and the splash screen stops while restoring the
session.

I don't think that guarding against the NULL pointer would be sufficient: it
seems that this is intimately linked to the fact that the machine has
trouble getting its own IP address. Since I don't know enough about X, I
can't solve this problem but I hope it'll help get others on the track.

--
Florent Pillet, Software Architect
OPTeWAY S.A., 2881 route des crêtes, BP. 308