List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Cannot get to www.hotmail.com using Konqueror: is this our bug?
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-08-12 2:07:17

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Shaheed Haque wrote:
> > > FWIW: I followed Will's thinking, and found I *was* missing OpenSSL. Adding
> > > it and rebuilding seems to have made no difference to my ability to access
> > > Hotmail. So any thoughts on this are most welcome to me too...
> >
> > Your inability to log into hotmail is actually not related to SSL at
> > all.  All other web-based email sites have the same known issue.
> > This has been a problem for us since sometime in the KDE 1.x series.
> > It used to work though.  Anyways, I am currently working on this
> > issue again.  I worked on this for KDE 1.1.2 but did not get
> > anywhere, perhaps I will have better luck and forsight this time
> > since I am a much more familiar with what kio_http does...
>
> Can you give us a hint at what it *is* related to if not SSL? :-)

Well, if I completely knew, believe me it would have already been fixed :)))
But since you asked for it.  Here it is:

I have been fighting with the problem of people not being able to login
into many online email accounts using KDE since 1.1.2.  At that time the
problem was thought to have been caused by a Cookie+Redirection (search
kfm-devel for this topic for details) problem, where the redirection occurred
before the cookie sent with the redirection was set.  This issue has since
has been addressed by Waldo in the cookiejar.  However, the problem still
persists.  So there is either a problem with the way we are sending our POST
data (FORMS in khtml), the cookiejar fix doesn't really work ??  I do not buy
that since from looking at the debugs when logging into mail.yahoo.com,  I see
all the cookies received being sent back.  Or the fix that was put in KIO to
change POST requests to GET on redirection, since many sites break the
spec on this issue, might be the cause of this.  Anyways, I have one debugging
session tonight to see what kind of response I get from as many of the reported
problematic sites as possible and compare the results.  Maybe that would tell me
something :))  Wish me luck!!  IMHO one way or another we have to fix this
before KDE 2.0.  It is been there too long.

Any ideas, suggestions, comments, magic fixes are welcome...

Regards,
Dawit A.