List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Liscencing Issue - Taking Action
From:       mosfet <mosfet () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-06-10 18:26:49

Neil Stevens wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> > If some hare-brained debians (not debian as a whole) don't get the
> > rather obvious implied permission it's their problem not mine.
>
> I'd say that it's not implied permission at all, but rather express
> permission.  From GPL Section 2:
>
> "If identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program, and
> can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in themselves,
> then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those sections when you
> distribute them as separate works."
>
> So, if we consider a dynamically linked KDE "Program," we can see that Qt is
> an "identifiable section of that work" that is "not derived from that
> Program, and can be reasonably considered independent and separate" from the
> KDE Program.

No it can't. Most likely every other line of the KDE application calls
Qt and Qt is required in order to use the program. This means they are
not independant. KDE applications, KDE libraries, and Qt are all
intertwined.

http://www.mosfet.org - The place for KDE development news.
mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org