List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Feature idea/app-starting
From:       Bill Soudan <wes0472 () rit ! edu>
Date:       2000-05-30 21:15:31

Something that's bugged me for a long time.

I haven't updated my KDE2 installation since Konfucious, so if this has
already been implemented, please forgive me.

How about 'remembering' the desktop that is currently selected when an
application is started, and then making sure that the application's first
window is mapped onto this desktop?  This has always bugged me about KDE1.
I'll often take a pass through my desktops when I first log in, and start
up the applications that I like to have running on each one.
Unfortunately, I need to wait until the applications maps its window
before I can change.

Anyone else think this would be a good idea?  It seems intuitive to me to
make sure the application actually pops up on the desktop you start it on.

I'll even provide a patch if someone can get me a list of things to do- I
imagine it's fairly straightforward.  I took a cursory glance through kwin
but I couldn't figure it out in the limited time I had.  I wanted to get
this in in case 1) people think it's a good idea and 2) it requires binary
incompatable changes, in light of Kurt's recent announcement :)

Bill