List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Errors in kdelibs compiling [PowerPC]
From:       Franz Sirl <Franz.Sirl-kernel () lauterbach ! com>
Date:       2000-05-15 13:19:03

At 14:37 15.05.00, you wrote:

> >Heh, it seems someone else out there is trying KDE2 on Linux/PPC :-).
> Does playing
> >WAV files work on your machine?
>
>         if you're using linuxPPC then
>
>         1) there's a bug in the /dev/dsp driver that is not initialized.
> I can
>hear wav file by running mpg123 on a mp3 file before, it will initialize the
>/dev/dsp, and then, you are able to play .wav

Ah, ok, I'll try that, though I thought I tried XMMS (which works fine)
already before playing with "System Sounds". Do you have a kernel patch for
the /dev/dsp bug? Or some deeper insight on the problem? I can do the patch
then.
I'm not really using the system sounds here, but sound was the only area
that still needed patches in KDE-1.1.2, and I wanted to assure these
problems (read wav-files on big-endian machines and unconditional use of
GET_OSPACE) are fixed in KDE2.

>         2) you should change your distribution, this one is a nightmare

Well, I dunno what's nightmarish about LinuxPPC, it works fine for the
stuff I use, but actually my system is running a mixture of YDL, LinuxPPC,
RR1.2pre and self-compiled stuff. But I admit that I'm mostly using
lower-level stuff, as I maintain binutils/gcc/glibc for the distributions.

Franz.