List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KWrite and KParts
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-05-10 21:05:10

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 12:31:57AM +0400, Alexei Dets wrote:
> Hi!
> As I notice KWrite is a KPart now.
> I don't need KWrite as a whole thing, I need slightly stripped down
> version.
> And I need to inherit it because I'm pretty sure that I'll need to
> change KWrite_Doc and I can't simply inherit from KWrite_Doc because it
> is a friend class but its child will not be.
> So, I must inherit KWrite, KWrite_Doc and KWrite_View - they are all
> "friends" :-(
> I can say that my KWrite will not be KWrite from kdelibs, why I need
> this strange and useless in my case KPart thing?
> So, the question is: what is the fastest way to get rid of this bloat
> and convert KWrite back to plain QWidget?

Why ? A part is nothing else than a widget and some actions
that go with it. You probably want the actions too.
No bloat here.

(I agree that a design where all classes are friend is not a good
design, though).

Beware that the API of libkwrite will most probably change before the
final 2.0. For now it's in kdelibs only to make the part available...

http://home.clara.net/faure/