List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Animated Menu's
From:       mosfet <mosfet () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-05-08 11:42:53

David Faure wrote:

> On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 04:08:46AM -0700, Jono Bacon wrote:
> > --- mosfet <mosfet@mandrakesoft.com> wrote:
> > > Microsoft having them on by default isn't very
> > > convincing ;-) This is
> > > coming from the people whose first version of their
> > > GUI couldn't overlap
> > > windows :P
> >
> > Come on Mosfet :-) This ain't really an
> > argument...it's not as if KDE is perfect is it? :-)
> >
> > > Really, I think I am being quite fair by agreeing to
> > > have an effect in
> > > the standard style and allowing users to turn it on,
> > > then seeing how
> > > they react. I don't have much else to say.
> >
> > You seem to be one of the few to be against it. The
> > reason why it is turned on in Windows is because end
> > users like it...and the majority of users coming to
> > KDE2 will be coming from a Windows background. The
> > animated menu's will make KDE2 look sleeker...and if
> > you don't like it...you can turn it off.
> >
> > We need to think about end users here...not
> > developers.
>
> And how do you know they want it ? Ran a poll ?
> Or you trust MS useability labs ?

<grin> No, *he* likes it, so obviously it should be turned on by default
and have a couple thousand lines of code dedicated to it in kdecore ;-)

> I'm against turning them on by default, but I have to
> admit I haven't tried them (are they available yet?).
> In any case, I hate them under Windows. Always goes into my way
> and makes me slower. And I think a LOT of users feel
> the same, not only developers - after all this has nothing to
> do with developement, so why would I, as a developer, have
> a different point of view than (from?) a user ?

I am sick of this thread. I *am not* the only one who said either they
do not want them or would turn them off... actually *those* are the
majority of users I believe. Most people don't care enough to post.
Jono, your taking what you think is cool and extending that to all
users, not the case at all. Your saying that developers are not users is
insulting as well. I also believe I am being very fair. This is turning
into whining, and I'm no longer going to post about this. Sorry you
won't get them turned on by default with your request for "tons of
effects" bloating kdecore, but that isn't going to happen, at least for
KDE2. What I see is something that a few users consider cool eye candy,
other developers and users see as a pain in the ass to use, and a lot of
complaining coming from the former about the latter's willingness to
include it but not turn it on by default or include a shitload of
effects.

Sorry to be so rude but I've been being nice for the last 3 days and I'm
sick of hearing about this. Your request has been noted, I said we would
include it but not turned on by default and not with dozens of effects,
esp. in the default style that's in kdecore!

http://www.mosfet.org - The place for KDE development news.
mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org