List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Animated Menu's
From:       mosfet <mosfet () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-05-07 19:34:34

Jono Bacon wrote:

> --- mosfet <mosfet@mandrakesoft.com> wrote:
> > Kurt Granroth wrote:

> > animated menus - but
> > personally won't use them but I
> > :P It seems to be one
> > one actually would want
> > >
> > > Well, I've requested it in the past and *I* use it
> > personally and *I*
> > > like it ;->
> > >
> > > I'm not going to push it as being on by default
> > (no possible way!),
> > > but I really like the feature myself.
> > >

> > Well, your just plain wacky then <grin> ;-)
> >

> I requested Animated Menu's (and got this thread going
> :/ ), and I personally would use them and have them
> on. I would also like them to be configurable like
> themes.
>
> The whole argument about animated menu's is the same
> argument that many have over themes - that they slow
> the system down, take up too much code etc. These
> arguments are by people who want ultimate speed out of
> their deskto, and while speed is important for end
> users, eye candy is just as important. This can be
> seen by the amount of times people spend messing about
> with screensavers and colors, and the amount of
> downloads from themes.org.

Erm Jono, I develop a lot of the theme and eye candy code and *I* find
them clunky and not nice to use at all :P This argument doesn't really
fly when applied to someone who spent a lot of time developing theme and
style code ;-) I like a nice desktop, I don't like an awkward one.

> Lets not cut out animated menu's because certain
> developers dont like them, and ignore what many people
> will say on Slashdot. Most posters on Slashdot just
> seem to moan about anything.

Well, I agree with them in this case and will argue against bloating the
styles which are always allocated with things I think make KDE less nice
;-) This doesn't only apply to animated menus, for instance I would like
B2/KDE to be the default KWin style but it's awkward for some users to
use so I dropped the idea. Same thing applies here. We will have it in a
few styles with a minimal effect and see how people react. If there's
gushing about it fine - there's plenty of people willing to do more
effects, if not so be it.

http://www.mosfet.org - The place for KDE development news.
mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org