List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Move to SourceForge
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwe () uwix ! alt ! na>
Date:       2000-05-06 1:24:12

On Fri, 5 May 2000, Konrad Wojas wrote:

> On Fri, May 05, 2000 at 12:24:43AM -0100, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> > On Thu, 4 May 2000, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> >
> > > In any event, I was just told that there might be a way to have the
> > > DNS change happen within seconds.  We'll see tomorrow :-)
> >
> > You tell me how I'll believe it (perhaps). DNS is a distributed
> > database with lots of (distributed) caches. If you find a method to
> > propagate DNS changes through the whole Internet within seconds
> > you'll on your way to a millionaire (besides becoming the hero of
> > all network admins ;-).
>
> It's possible to change the DNS record timeout value to a few minutes
> today to make all DNS cache's check the record more often and change it
> back to a few hours tomorrow once the record is updated. All cache's
> should be updated in a few minutes this way.

Sure it's possible. Just don't do it if you don't want to get into a
quarral with root server administrators. I for one would pull the plug
on DNS servers that do that. It's an abuse.

Uwe

Uwe Thiem                                        Tel:  +264 - 61 - 249249
P.O.Box 30955                                    Email:   uwe@uwix.alt.na
Windhoek                                                      uwe@kde.org
Republic of Namibia                                    http://www.kde.org