List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: extention .desktop
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-04-29 7:27:12

> > While the .desktop extention is not really needed (it is recognised withouth it
> > as well) it looks wierd. Just like a .lnk on windows.
>
> Well, since you can remove the extension... I don't see where the problem is.

The initial name should not be with this extention why:
- extentions to Windows people is something you should never change.
- the extention is to long (it takes 1 1/2 line under my icon)
- the long extention makes things like floppy.desktop look ugly
- the .desktop means nothing to me if I am making an application icon.

> > The dialog shows things like:
> > Type: Desktop config file
> >
> > the problem I have with this is that that description is to broad, I can not see
> > that it is a FTP url or whatever from that description. I wanted to propose to
> > add the type of that file (FTP location or URL) in the description.
>
> A mimetype is defined by the extension, when there is one.
> It was a choice in KDE, to use the same extension for many different things
> (mimetypes, applications, urls (links), and now also services etc.)
> This means the same mimetype. Sure, you could hack something in the properties
> dialog, but that would lead to many inconsistencies (think about all the
> places where the mimetype name/comment appears, like the detailed-view
> of kfile and konqueror, etc.)

Well I thought about that. The only solution would be to make more mime-types.
Since I believe that is not an elegant solution what about changing the
comment to "KDE shortcut"

Still thinking this one over.

--
Thomas Zander                                              zander@earthling.net
History repeats itself, it has to nobody ever listens.         gpg-key:  0588D5