List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Q: html editor
From:       Talin <Talin () ACM ! org>
Date:       2000-04-28 6:33:19

What you say is true, but is missing the point.

For "professional" pages that are part of a production web site, one
with lots of dynamic content, it makes no sense to use a WYSIWYG editor.

However, not all web publishing is of this kind. In particular, things
like technical papers, daily diaries, opinion essays, and other
primarily textual content which have no active elements at all benefit
greatly from a WYSIWYG approach. It's a lot of work to compose in raw
HTML, and the tags are really distracting when you are trying to
concentrate on composing new text. Frankly, I find it almost impossible
to write essays in a non-WYSIWYG editor.

At work, I use FrontPage (yes, I admit it) for maintaining the company
intranet. All of our technical documentation, corporate directories, and
other documents are composed with this. Of course, the HTML it produces
is crap, but who cares? This is not for public consumption, and the
pages _look_ just fine. Simple, but professional. It does the job, and
even the marketing people can use it without any special training.

Of course, we would _never_ use FrontPage for our _public_ site. That
has to be hand-optimized for the fastest possible download speed,
carefully tweaked to work with about a dozen different browsers, and has
lots of images, a complex table structure, and tons of JSP tags.

So there is a place for both approaches, and I would encourage you to be
open to alternatives. In particular, if there was a decent WYSIWYG
editor in the open source world, I would use it.

--
Talin (Talin@ACM.org)       "I am life's flame. Respect my name.
www.sylvantech.com/~talin    My fire is red, my heart is gold.