List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE desktop experience
From:       Dawit A <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-26 0:08:17

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Curtis M. Brune wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Our company, www.workspot.com, offers free linux desktops featuring the KDE
> desktop.  We use the VNC protocol to bring KDE to users via their web browsers.
>
> Currently we have over 15,000 registered users.  First off I'd
> like to say thanks to all the KDE developers and maintainers world wide.
>
> Thank You!
>
> Secondly I'd like to feedback some behaviour we've noticed with KDE --
>
> Every once in awhile a user's KDE session creates a HUGE file called
> ~/.share/dev/zero in the user's home directory.  As far as I can tell the
> size of the file is only limited by the maximum file size under linux,
> about 2.5GB .  Also the file appears to contain nothing but zeroes.
>
> Does anyone know about this file?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> We are running version 1.1.2 of KDE if that helps.

Hmmm... AFAIK unless it is a non-kde application or a non-basic KDE application,
no app I know of creates such a large file.  In fact with the exception of .kderc, all of
the config files for most of KDE apps are under ~/.kde and not ~/.share.
Anyways, have you checked to make sure that it is not the VNC session that is
creating this huge file ?  It would seems to be a likely candidate as it needs
to exchange lots of binary data between the viewer and server to paint the
graphics stuff ...

Regards,
Dawit A.