List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kio slace processes segfault after being called by kinit
From:       MGandalf <MGandalf () Mentasm ! com>
Date:       2000-04-25 21:51:59

This has been a problem for me for over a week in CVS now. From what I
understand, any kde apps requesting file io calls on kinit. For instance,
kio_file is called by kinit when konqueror is first launched. As soon as
kio_file is launched it dies with a segfault. kio_file doesn't even have a
change to spit out to kdDebug that it's starting. Consequently, kdesktop,
konqueror, kfile, and several other functions fail to work for me.

Here is the backtrace for 'kdeinit: kio_file':

-------------------------
(gdb) bt
#0  0x40a33121 in ?? ()
#1  0x40a43359 in ?? ()
#2  0x408c9fbb in ?? ()
#3  0x804a396 in fprintf ()
#4  0x804ae95 in launch (argc=6, _name=0x804e260 "", args=0x4 "@\002") at
kinit.cpp:238
#5  0x804b296 in init_kdeinit_socket () at kinit.cpp:414
#6  0x804bc0f in handle_launcher_request (sock=4) at kinit.cpp:708
#7  0x409f7380 in ?? ()
(gdb)

This is actually a backtrace from a CVS done last Friday, however, newer
backtraces show very simular results.

I am running an enhanced RedHat 5.2 system with glibc 2.1.2, egcs-2.91.60,
and XFree86 4.0.

- Mark.