List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: App-starting notification. Request for comments.
From:       Peter Astrand <altic () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2000-04-24 21:34:26

>What I need from people is to be told when an app is buggy. So if
>you start a program and it maps a window but you end up with the
>You can test it by using xprop. If the app does actually set its
>hints to something reasonable (e.g. Netscape Navigator sets its
>res_name to 'Navigator' - which is wrong, because it should be

It's wrong to say that an app is buggy just because WM_CLASS doesn't match
the name of the binary. There is no standard enforcing such a behavior.
And if you rename a binary, make a link, or start via an shellscript?
Also, if you are starting more than one copy of an application, there is
no way to distinguish between the two instances. I think that using this
approach with WM_CLASS is totally useless. IMHO, either:

1) Simply check for a mapped window
2) Use a more reliable method

I only know about one really reliable method, namely the LD_PRELOAD
approach from SCWM. This is implemented in "Xalf".

>Any reports of buggy apps will be much appreciated and will give
>us even more solid app-starting notification, better than anywhere
>else :)

I don't agree :-) I have made lots of tests with Xalf 0.2, and not found a
single application that doesn't work. With your implementation, there are
lots of problematic apps.

Se http://www.lysator.liu.se/~altic/projects/xalf/ for more information.

/Peter Astrand <altic@lysator.liu.se>