List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: App-starting notification. Request for comments.
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-24 22:02:37

#if Peter Astrand
> It's wrong to say that an app is buggy just because WM_CLASS doesn't match
> the name of the binary. There is no standard enforcing such a behavior.

Well, it's standard behaviour for X apps.

> And if you rename a binary, make a link, or start via an shellscript?

You're screwed.

> Also, if you are starting more than one copy of an application, there is
> no way to distinguish between the two instances. I think that using this
> approach with WM_CLASS is totally useless. IMHO, either:

There is, actually, we use PID.

> 1) Simply check for a mapped window

Doesn't work.

> 2) Use a more reliable method

Yep.

> I only know about one really reliable method, namely the LD_PRELOAD
> approach from SCWM. This is implemented in "Xalf".

Right. I've looked at Xalf and decided that approach is much better.

I'm working on implementing it for KDE instead of the current
semi-reliable version. Just hang on a week or so, while I scrape
a few things off the top of my TODO list :)

Rik