List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal for regular expression widget.
From:       Ralf.Gerlich () t-online ! de (Ralf Gerlich)
Date:       2000-04-24 13:19:10

Hi!
> I've decided to develop a regular expression builder widget for KDE, and I
> would be happy to get some feedback from all of you before I start coding
> (This is a new strategy I have a patent for - thinking before coding ;-)
I suspect you previously used the other way: coding before thinking.
AFAIK this is Copyright (c) 19xx-2000 Microsoft Corp. Did you pay for
the right to use it? ;-)

> The purpose with the widget should be to type in a regular expression, just
> think about the following regular expression:
> ^abc*def|hij*
> What does the above mean? Does it mean ^\(abc\)*\(def\|\(hij\)*\) ?
That depends.

Flex does it this way
^\(ab\(c*\)def\)|\(hi\(j*\)\)\)

i.e. at the beginning of the line either ab with multiple c's and def
following, or hi with multiple j's.

> The idea is to use graphical elements rather than the ascii syntax which
> most of us (Including myself) often have a lot of problem getting right.
Thy word's in God's ear. :-)

Sounds great,
Ralf

--