List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: low performance of kio
From:       Bill Soudan <wes0472 () rit ! edu>
Date:       2000-04-21 18:40:06

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, David Faure wrote:

> Yes, yes. Once again I wasn't replying to this but to people saying
> "konqueror is slower than mc/kfm/windows" without any reason to say so
> (i.e. almost the other half of the thread).

Just to re-iterate, I was *not* trying to say konqueror *IS* slower than
file manager X.  I was trying to say *if* konqueror is slower than most
other file managers out there, that's bad.  I haven't done any benchmarks
myself, so I purposely did not draw any conclusions.

My message:

* If, for example, user X uses mc to do file management, they install
* KDE2, and they notice that konqueror takes (completely arbitrary here)
* 5x as long to copy files around that's going to reflect negatively on
* konqueror.  Or, someone normally uses Windows, they test out linux &
* KDE2.  This person have a lot of large mp3s, and... "hmm, copying
* these around is taking a lot longer than Windows.  Linux is slow!"

Bill