List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: low performance of kio
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-04-21 18:43:05

On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 01:33:32PM -0400, Bill Soudan wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, David Faure wrote:
>
> > Do you realize that konqueror is actually a lot FASTER than kfm ?
>
> I've noticed the general feel of konqueror is *much* faster, definitely,
> and I've also noticed a significant improvement in the ftp ioslave.
> Unfortunately, the only time I use kfm is when I'm using the ftp ioslave
> to access a remote site - I find kfm a little clunky for general use.
> Though part of the reason is I still use the command line out of habit.
> As far as performance working with local files, as in reading and copying,
> I have no idea what the comparative performance is, because I haven't used
> either enough to judge nor have I ran any myself benchmarks.
>
> The fact that konqueror is faster than kfm is great then, but I'm not
> necessarily trying to compare konqueror to kfm, it could be any other file
> manager out there.  If, for example, user X uses mc to do file management,
> they install KDE2, and they notice that konqueror takes (completely
> arbitrary here) 5x as long to copy files around that's going to reflect
> negatively on konqueror.  Or, someone normally uses Windows, they test out
> linux & KDE2.  This person have a lot of large mp3s, and... "hmm, copying
> these around is taking a lot longer than Windows.  Linux is slow!"

Feel free to prove those guessed numbers.

(compile with --disable-debug first, though!)

> Again, all other issues aside, just trying to think of in terms of an
> *average* user.

What do you think ? That I implemented copying voluntarily in a slow way ?

This thread is pissing me off because I spent a lot on time on KIO
(and so did Waldo and Stephan) to make it a lot better than it was before
and people throw stones without having any idea what they're talking about,
nor about if there is a real problem.

Doing copying in process in the case of konqueror would be 100% wrong
(because of how much it would keep the konqueror process busy)
but I see some point in implementing in-process get()/put() for apps
that load (potentially huge) files, if it is proven that it is actually a gain.

http://home.clara.net/faure/