List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: animated icons path
From:       Geert Jansen <g.t.jansen () stud ! tue ! nl>
Date:       2000-04-21 8:43:17

> Ooops, I meant Geert, sorry!

:-)

> > The animated MNG should be stored in the same place as where the normal
> > icons are stored.  I think loadIcon() should load the first frame of the
> > icon, so that the user can still select the animated icon using the
> > iconloader dialog. For loading a movie, we can introduce a new method,
> > loadAnimated() or loadMovie() that will return the animated icon in some
> > form.
> >

> Is using a nonstandard format (MNG) a good thing or a neccessary evil?
> Just from a compatibility with other tools (gimp, ee, etc...) it would seem
> to shut a lot of things out.

As Bill Soudan already pointed out, it will become a standard. I would
swear that this was once supported by Qt, but 2.1 doesn't seem to do so.

> > Do you have the required software to create the MNG files? If so, I can
> > extend the iconloader to handle these.
> >

> Not that i am aware of. Could you point me at it?

http://www.cdrom.com/pub/mng/mngapps.html

In particular, it seems that imagemagick supports it.

I will investigate further.

Greetings,
--
    Geert Jansen                       email: <g.t.jansen at stud.tue.nl>