List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: low performance of kio
From:       mosfet <mosfet () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-04-20 18:18:22

Ian Zepp wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 10:11:57AM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Stefan Schimanski wrote:

> > > I agree. But why are local jobs done in the process at all. Wouldn't it be much
> > > better to do them in a in process file? Only an idea...
> >
> > Because that blocks the application. If you want speed, use fread - if
> > you want
> > nonblocking IO, use KIO
> >

> Forgive me if this sound naive, but I was under the impression that KIO should be used
> whenever possible, in order to promote said "transparency". If you insist that ppl
> use which ever method is more appropriate, then use fread for local files and nfs or
> ftp for network operations, and skip KIO altogether.

This is kindof what I was thinking but I was too much a newbie with KIO
to mention it ;-) I thought one of the main advantages of KIO was to be
able to use the same chunk of code for both local and remote files >:)
I'm totally ignorant here but perhaps it would be good to add hacks to
KIO that optionally just use normal I/O without slaves for local files
but generate the same signals as other jobs (reading/writing a chunk of
data then generating a signal)? Dunno if this is possible or not. It's
certainly not good to be saying "Don't use KIO for local file access".

http://www.mosfet.org - The place for KDE development news.
mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org