List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: low performance of kio
From:       Ian Zepp <icszepp () islc ! net>
Date:       2000-04-20 12:25:43

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 10:11:57AM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Stefan Schimanski wrote:

> > > Why should it be faster? KIO isn't really made for reading local files,
> > > but
> > > for network transparency, where 200KB/s is most often good enough. if
> > > you want
> > > to read a local file, use fopen and fread. What you do when using kio is
> > > doing
> > > the same, but redirect the commands and the data to another process,
> > > inheritly
> > > making it slower as the IPC bandwidth is far lower than the usual file
> > > reading.
> >
> > I agree. But why are local jobs done in the process at all. Wouldn't it be much
> > better to do them in a in process file? Only an idea...
>
> Because that blocks the application. If you want speed, use fread - if
> you want
> nonblocking IO, use KIO

Forgive me if this sound naive, but I was under the impression that KIO should be used
whenever possible, in order to promote said "transparency". If you insist that ppl
use which ever method is more appropriate, then use fread for local files and nfs or
ftp for network operations, and skip KIO altogether.

Regards

Ian