List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE from a usability look
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwe () uwix ! alt ! na>
Date:       2000-04-16 20:50:25

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, David Faure wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 16, 2000 at 01:06:01PM +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > The file->new->"File system device" could have a better name, what about "Drive Icon"
>
> In theory one could use that to mount partitions too... but I am open
> to suggestions, especially since I'm not a native speaker. Drive Icon sounds
> a bit strange though, no ?

Hmm ... this is a bit tricky. Since we don't want "Mount" (remember all
the discussions about mounting horses and otherwise some time back? ;-)
"filesystem" (BTW: Isn't it "filesystem" rather than "file
system"?)  seems the only appropriate term to me. Even "device" (which
would include partitions) isn't exact. Given it's open to users, it
could even mount /proc which is neither a drive nor a device. It can even
mount simple directories over NFS.

This is some real UNIX thingy that doesn't translate well to DOS/Windows
language. "Extending filesystem" isn't very intuitive either.

Maybe we'll that to the Corel's GUI expert who's supposed to get his
hands dirty with KDE soon. ;-)

Uwe

Uwe Thiem                                        Tel:  +264 - 61 - 249249
P.O.Box 30955                                    Email:   uwe@uwix.alt.na
Windhoek                                                      uwe@kde.org
Republic of Namibia                                    http://www.kde.org