List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE from a usability look
From:       zander () microweb ! nl
Date:       2000-04-16 20:43:25

> > note: this email is cross-posted to kde-devel and kde-look. Since I am only
> > subscribed to kde-look, please take measures when replying.
> Same precautions the other way round please :/
>
> > View-> sort menu:  "directories first" should become "directories last" if the \
> > "descending" option is selected.
> Sure that this is what users expect ?

I believe that the user expects what the menu entry said. In this case it would
probably be better to always show the dirs first, even if decend is selected. It
would offcource show directories in the descending order as well.

> > Title of dialog options->"configure file manager" should be: "file manager \
> > options". same for other dialogs.
>
> Isn't "configure blah" what the style guide says ? It's what it says
> for the menu item, so I don't see why it should be different in the title of the
> dialog.

Sorry this was not a very good explenation of my origional intentions, I will try \
again: The caption of the dialog is currently "file manager", (I am on NT now, so \
excuse me if I am not entirely correct) I wanted to suggest adding 'options', or \
'configure' to that caption.

> > If I click an file with a known filetype but no known application to handle it,
> > I get a dialog: "Open with". This dialog just forgets to tell me what mime-type I \
> > am  finding an application for.
> Perhaps because mime-type names aren't user-friendly ?
> Note that the (first) file that was selected appears as the caption of the \
> dialog...

Yes but I still don't know what filetype it is, Is there no comment option in \
mime-types?

> > Feature request: in detailed list view, print the permissions which are meant
> > for me in bold. Examples:
> > file is mine: <b>RWX</b>r-x-r--
> > I am in group: rwx<b>R-X</b>r--
> > etc.
>
> Good idea. Did you note that at least the properties dialog shows this ?
> (Thanks to the one who implemented that BTW!)

I suggested that some months ago ;-)

> > I really like the options with the green led/anker in the split window. I do
> > however think that the anker (right) should be a square, not a circle.
> Why ? :)

Because a circle is always used as a 'radio-button', a squere as an option.
The green led idea fits this, because only one can be on per window. In a window
with 3 viewers it is however very possible to have 2 views locked. (anker selected)

--
Thomas Zander                                                zander@microweb.nl
History repeats itself, it has to nobody ever listens.         gpg-key:  0588D5