List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE from a usability look
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-04-16 18:37:06

On Sun, Apr 16, 2000 at 01:06:01PM +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:
> --
> note: this email is cross-posted to kde-devel and kde-look. Since I am only
> subscribed to kde-look, please take measures when replying.
Same precautions the other way round please :/

> kmenu: An empty menu entry should contain a non-clickable "empty" tag. This gives a \
> lot better feedback then an outline of the folder in a strange size..

kicker

> Konqueror:
> The menu option: "New folder" opens a dialog I would like to see the text there
> changed to: "Enter name for New folder"

Done.

> The file->new->"File system device" could have a better name, what about "Drive \
> Icon"

In theory one could use that to mount partitions too... but I am open
to suggestions, especially since I'm not a native speaker. Drive Icon sounds
a bit strange though, no ?

> View-> sort menu:  "directories first" should become "directories last" if the \
> "descending" option is selected.

Sure that this is what users expect ?

> Title of dialog options->"configure file manager" should be: "file manager \
> options". same for other dialogs.

Isn't "configure blah" what the style guide says ? It's what it says
for the menu item, so I don't see why it should be different in the title of the
dialog.

> If I click an file with a known filetype but no known application to handle it,
> I get a dialog: "Open with". This dialog just forgets to tell me what mime-type I \
> am  finding an application for.
Perhaps because mime-type names aren't user-friendly ?
Note that the (first) file that was selected appears as the caption of the dialog...

> Also I am missing a button to search for my application with a file-browser.

Upgrade your KDE, I have added that one :/

> What does options->"save settings" do? Did we not agree that settings ware always
> saved the moment "ok" is clicked? (It does not seem to do anything..)

I still have to clean this up but:
in konqueror there are two kind of options. Some apply to the application
(show menubar, show command line, etc.) and I agree that those could be saved
whenever they are changed... although it means you can't just set the menubar
as off for ONE window without avoiding that all later windows appear with
no menubar. Not very friendly !

And the other kind of settings apply to _the current directory_ only by default,
such as the background color, image, show HTML or not, the sorting order, etc.
The idea of Save Settings is to save as general preferences the settings for
the current directory. Any better suggestions ?

> Feature request: in detailed list view, print the permissions which are meant
> for me in bold. Examples:
> file is mine: <b>RWX</b>r-x-r--
> I am in group: rwx<b>R-X</b>r--
> etc.

Good idea. Did you note that at least the properties dialog shows this ?
(Thanks to the one who implemented that BTW!)

> I really like the options with the green led/anker in the split window. I do
> however think that the anker (right) should be a square, not a circle.
Why ? :)

> Something I never figured out: how can I select multiple files in single click
> mode. Solution would be that I can select with a bounding box (as is done
> in Icon mode) This does not work in any other modes...
Michael / Alexxx ?

> When going to TERM mode, the menus are changed. Please NEVER delete
> items from the menu's just make them ghosted!
> And worse: when I go back the menu entries are not put back. (probably a bug)

Konqueror can embed a lot of different things, including a HTML component
(when browsing the web or a local HTML file), a terminal, a text editor.
Those components come with their own functionality and the menu items for it.
So there is no other way than to add/remove menu items each time the
active view is changed, to show the capabilities of the current view.

> Bug: when I split view, set an anker, split view again the 'free' view should
> regain it's second circle.!
This is going to change anyway...

> When I right click the desktop I would like to see the configuration options set
> seperately between seperators. This is a global approuch I believe.
Why not. Any other vote for or against it ?

(snipped non-konqueror items)

http://home.clara.net/faure/