List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE from a usability look
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-04-16 11:06:01

note: this email is cross-posted to kde-devel and kde-look. Since I am only
subscribed to kde-look, please take measures when replying.
--

I understand that KDE release date is coming closer, therefor I went over the
things that bugged me for some time to see if they are still there, and

kmenu: An empty menu entry should contain a non-clickable "empty" tag. This gives a \
lot better feedback then an outline of the folder in a strange size..

Konqueror:
The menu option: "New folder" opens a dialog I would like to see the text there
changed to: "Enter name for New folder"
The file->new->"File system device" could have a better name, what about "Drive Icon"

View-> sort menu:  "directories first" should become "directories last" if the \
"descending" option is selected.

Title of dialog options->"configure file manager" should be: "file manager options".
same for other dialogs.

If I click an file with a known filetype but no known application to handle it,
I get a dialog: "Open with". This dialog just forgets to tell me what mime-type I am
finding an application for.
Also I am missing a button to search for my application with a file-browser.

What does options->"save settings" do? Did we not agree that settings ware always
saved the moment "ok" is clicked? (It does not seem to do anything..)

Feature request: in detailed list view, print the permissions which are meant
for me in bold. Examples:
 file is mine: <b>RWX</b>r-x-r--
 I am in group: rwx<b>R-X</b>r--
etc.

I really like the options with the green led/anker in the split window. I do
however think that the anker (right) should be a square, not a circle.

Something I never figured out: how can I select multiple files in single click
mode. Solution would be that I can select with a bounding box (as is done
in Icon mode) This does not work in any other modes...

When going to TERM mode, the menus are changed. Please NEVER delete
items from the menu's just make them ghosted!
And worse: when I go back the menu entries are not put back. (probably a bug)

Bug: when I split view, set an anker, split view again the 'free' view should
regain it's second circle.!

When I right click the desktop I would like to see the configuration options set
seperately between seperators. This is a global approuch I believe.

KWord.
Looks gooood!
but..
I am missing a way to config the paragraph styles? (This in the framemaker way)
Auto correction is not done the way it should. Autocorrection should be done
at the time I type. After that my text should stay unchanged at all times.
When I have a abbr. like RGB it changes it into RgB.. This is even done with text
typed before I changed the config to do autocorretion.

hmm, it might just be to pre beta to go making a list..

Control center.
I believe the Arrow UP thingy is a bad idea. The hierarchic design gives the user a \
                much better overview over the available config panels.
Suggestion: Put clickable links on the open screen (where that wicked mage resides)
which takes the user to search/help/index
Suggestion2: do some more work on the layout, the blank space around the mage just
makes the text unreadable.

My 3cts.

ps. I used the CVS of last weekend (could get this weekends version compiling).

--
Thomas Zander                                                zander@microweb.nl
History repeats itself, it has to, nobody ever listens      OpenPGP key: 0588D5