List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kde SMTP/POP3 App
From:       "Christian Oppel" <uzs84g () uni-bonn ! de>
Date:       2000-04-08 13:54:28

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Rik Hemsley <rik@kde.org>
An: kde-devel@kde.org <kde-devel@kde.org>
Datum: Samstag, 8. April 2000 15:15
Betreff: Re: Kde SMTP/POP3 App

>#if Christian Oppel
>>    I am writing a Java Email Application and I am wondering if a
>>    conversion to KDE (QT) would be useful.
>>
>>    Any comments would be helpful.
>
>Could you give more information ?
>As I'm sure you know, we already have a nice, full-featured mail
>client called kmail, but I'm working on some other stuff, designed
>in a more modular fashion. If you'd like to continue with a whole
>new standalone app, that's ok, but there are opportunities for
>collaboration too, if you fancy working with other people. I'm
>keen to get people to work together, as the code needed for
>a full client is quite large.
>
>Specifically, I'm interested in providing mail and news related
>modules, behind-the-scenes and UI widgets, which can be used to
>build an application in whatever configuration suits. This can
>mean separate clients for mail, news etc or a single app that
>incorporates all, in the style of MS Outlook. There is a lot
>of code already written and the design of the mail end is
>mature and documented, if you'd like to take a look.
>
>I'm open to any form of input. If you want to suggest redesign,
>that can be done. If you want to contribute code, or take code
>for your own purposes, that's cool too.
>
>Rik

Well I have an SMTP application which works and is quite compact 200 lines
maybe.
But I have not tested it with a different provider, other than my university
provider.
The POP3 is at very early stage (much of the whole thing is). At the moment
I am working
on some bugs (with the http client , webrowser).
I think it is very important to have an html displayer so that you can use
html formated emails.
I have not started yet in that direction.
Basically programming a Network Client in Java is more easily done in C++ I
think.
That does not exclude doing it in C++, though I do not quite like the Unix
Socket Methods.
Any way I am interested in any developments by others, and I am eager to
learn from their code and
experiences.
A modular approach seems to be the right way though I believe in create an
integrated app (Webbrowser,
email Client and maybe HTML Webpage Creation).

Thanks
Christian Oppel