List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: libkonq
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       2000-04-06 12:41:06

David Faure wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 01:50:58PM +0200, Harri Porten wrote:
>
> > The "Every lib that's used by at least 2 apps has to be moved into
> > kdelibs" way of thinking is not really practicable in the long run. RPMs
> > could surely deal with dependencies on seperate libs very well but we
> > are not the distributor ...
>
> which is why I think that the distributors should package KDE by splitting
> the CVS modules. Even kdelibs. The RPMS I did for Mandrake split kdelibs-sound
> out of kdelibs, which is IMHO a necessary good start. The same could

I didn't know that. Nice move (pun intented).

> be done with most packages, making it easier for users concerned with
> disk space, for distributors that re-package one package (for update or fixes),
> and we would make more noise on freshmeat and other app-watching sites ;-))

Right. We already know that certain libs will have a constant process of
improvements in the future.

> My suggestion (not new... but didn't get any answer previously) would
> be that we put a document together that says how we want the modules
> to be split at packaging time - so that we avoid the problem of each
> distributor/packager doing it his own way (and us having no idea about the
> packages existing out there). I volunteer to help in this area, but for
> this we need to decide to go this way.

Hmmm. Why just document that process ? A ready-made script (based on
cvs2pack) would be even nicer. We could even run that script each night
ourselves and upload the splitted versions (once we have all that
computing power from SourceForge;)

> PS: the relation with this is that kwrite, kdesu and libkonq could
> be a kdelibs-utils (since they're not needed for, say, koffice, kdemultimedia,
> kdegraphics, etc.) but only for some kdebase apps, kdevelop and some others.
> Sure there could also be one package for each of those libs, but then
> it's a bit too much ;-)

How much pain will the i18n messages cause ? /me already sees coolo
banging his head on the table.

Harri.