List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: long hair developers :) ... and printdialog
From:       Stephan Heigl <stephan () heigl-gmbh ! de>
Date:       2000-04-01 21:13:51

Am Fri, 31 Mar 2000 schrieb Brian Pirie:
> I know that I'm jumping in on this thread a little late, but I'd like to pass on
> more information about what we have been and are thinking about doing with libaps
> (http://opensource.corel.com/printlib.html or
> http://sourceforge.net/project/?group_id=2328).
>
> Currently we have library level support implemented for most everything that is
> described in the documentation, including enumerating printers, PPD file parsing,
> obtaining and modifying job attributes, send jobs to printers, viewing and
> manipulating queues, and the printer model database support.
Is there native CUPS support yet?

> > have also done a printdialog for corel linux?
>
> This is one of the things that we're currently thinking about. What we'd
> ultimately like to see available to applications is a common print dialog box that
> provides full access to all device features (say, from a PPD file if one is being
> used), and that is integrated with the settings made in the kcontrol printers
> panel.
>
> For instance, if a particular printer supports duplexing, you should be able to
> turn this on by default in Control Center. A UI with a similar look in feel should
> then be available at print time to override these defaults with job-specific
> settings.

Hi,

I think printoptions in KControl are wrong-placed. You print
using a printdialog, so you should be able to set defaults in the print dialog
and not in kcontrol. And why limit to one "default"? What about add a
possibility to save options in, well, let´s call ´em profiles and set one
default profile per printer. Installation/Deinstallation of printers should be
possible with a kcontrol module but not setting printer options.

regards

stephan