List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: smb [was: Re: KWin Development]
From:       Dawit A <adawit () THUNDER ! WORKGROUP>
Date:       2000-03-30 2:12:19

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Nicolas Brodu wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 12:06:26PM -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually, to be more precise, I can enter *any* smb url from the
> > > command line and it will work fine.  If I enter *any* smb url in the
> > > location combobox OR click on any smb share or file, then konqueror
> > > crashes quite reliably.
> > >
> > > I don't think it's smb, though, as ftp does the same thing for me.
> >
> > FTP works fine here, both anonymous and user.
> >
> > backtraces appreciated.
>
> Konqy also crashes sometimes, but for unknown reasons and not after entering a
> URL in the location bar.
>
> About SMB:
> - Fixed string corruption bug.
> - Patched library to accept smb: followed by 0, 1, 2, 3 (or more) /

Nicolas, a scheme followed by a scheme-separator and then no other character is
is an invalid URL [ look @ RFC 2396 ].  Thus, you should not support "smb:" at
all!!!  If you want to support it you will have to use KURIFilter to filter it
to the appropriate syntax [ look at @kio/KURIFilter and kdebase/kcontrol/ebrowsing/shorturi/].
I will be commiting a re-write of this plugin class by the weekend and have a
short tutorial on how to use it.

Is this why you added that static method to KURL ??  IMHO, that is wrong! I
personally think KURL is getting too big for its own good.  It is supposed to
only parse and at most validate URLs.  The filtering should be done by the
filter classes.  If you want I will add the filtering rule to shortURI filter
for converting "smb:" to the proper format...

Cheers,
Dawit A.