List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kcontrol/Date - first version
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       2000-03-28 4:59:25

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Dima Rogozin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I attach the first version I want to commit.

Please either wait a bit before commiting or firstly commit it to
kdenonbeta. Better get the functionality working too (applying working)
and in the meanwhile inform people you're almost ready (in fact, I'm also
Cc:-ing this to kde-devel). This way nobody will have reason to complain.

> It has most of UI in place (you can see it in gif files) but doesn't
> do actual change of the date and time yet. I need to figure out how to
> make it most effective way.

I think it's ok to use KProcess. Or are there libc functions for date
manipulation? (dumb question).

Think about portability too. This has to run in as much Unix systems as
possible.

Idea 1: when you get a bit of time, think about the hardware clock too
(man page on linux is hwclock(1)). Especially overclockers will love to
have comparisons and syncing GUI between system clock and bios clock :-)

Idea 2: think, when you have a bit of time, about putting in xntp (best)
or r/net-date (at least). We can even try to get official approval from
time server maintainers around the world to have them listed by default in
your app, and add some intelligent selection code for these servers, based
on the time zone the user chooses :-)

Hehe, lots of ideas. But don't panic, we don't want to get them all done
until tomorrow morning :-)

> Below is TODO list. Please see couple of
> questions there.
>
> TODO:
> - make actual change on Applay/OK
> - add more meaningfull names to time zones (like in
> MS).

Plus something funny, like number of CVS KDE developers in that timezone
:-) or "Invitation to create KDE came from this timezone" when one gets
over Germany :-)

> - add clock.desktop entry
>   Q: Where this should go? In Corel it is separate top

In Preferences/System

Ask gently the artists at kde-artists@kde.org

> - fix date table paint bug (you can see slol glitch in
> top left corner).

Are you aware of the date picker in kdelibs? Is this what you're using?

> Dima.

Thanks a lot for the excellent work.

Cristian Tibirna

P.S.: Let's move to kde-devel@kde.org, so that interested people can get