List:       kde-devel
Subject:    X config - Re: Kcontrol/Date
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       2000-03-28 4:42:51

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, John Sohn wrote:

> If there isn't anyone working on the X-server
> configuration I would be interested in working on it.
> Is this something I could do?

Yes, excellent. There is the corel code (that I never looked at) and then
there is an X config app somewhere in the ftp.kde.org repository of apps
for kde-1. I know that last one, it was excellent but had a terrifying GUI
:-).

Pay attention: XFree-4.0 is in the come. You have two choices: separate as
much as possible config parser/know-how part from the GUI part, so that
you can move easier to XFree-4 later, or just support XFree-4 from the
start, hoping that by the time you finish the app most distros will come
with XF-4.

Keep in mind that unfortunately different Unices (and even Linux distros)
aren't compatible with respect to the placement of the XF86Config file.
Also, try to imagine if there is a way to take into account config files
with other names than "XF86Config".

Good luck :-)

And better move this to kde-devel, for transparency.

Thanks a lot for getting on board

Cristian