List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Active Desktop
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-03-26 21:46:15

Rik Hemsley wrote:
> > After 2.0 if nobody has done anything concerning that, I was planning
> > on looking into it.  I would love to have kdesktop be able to embed
> > *any* Part, khtml or not.  For instance, I think it would rock to have
> > something like empath or korganizer embedded in my desktop...
>
> Eek, I have no idea why you'd want a mail client embedded in
> your desktop.

Think of it as a fancy mail monitor :-) I would embed the message list
part into the desktop and set it to automagically check or new
messages every so often.  Then, I can just click on the message when
it arrives.  With the classic biff+client setup, the situation is like
so:

1) New mail arrives and the biff notifies you of that
2) You don't know if you want to read it or not so (depending on the
   biff agent) you either click somewhere on the biff to see the
   message list or just click on it to start your mailer
3) Once in the mailer, you click on the message to read it.

With the embedded in kdesktop scheme:

1) New mail arrives and you instantly see that as well as the message
   subject
2) You click on the message to read it

That's ideal for those of us who are supremely lazy about things like
that :-)
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix