List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The auto-cache feature I asked about...
From:       Chris Lee <nytehorse () inficad ! com>
Date:       2000-03-16 4:54:05

Well, of course it would have to come as default-disabled; it's another
process which would use up extra CPU cycles and is of course not
*required* to run KDE, so it would be disabled... David (Faure) brought
up the "Pay - per - byte" problem, and I had already considered it.
However, for most normal home users, I think that such a feature would
be pretty nice....

Also, about the cache- it would of course clean itself out, or have some
option limiting it's size...

Does it still sound like a horrible idea? I just got kind of used to it
when I used windows- and with the cool KIO libs and everything, I
figured it would be worth a shot. If not, I'll add it to my own version
and offer it as a download from my web page once it's done. : )

-Chris

dep wrote:
[

if somrthing like this were implemented, it would certainly need to
have a switch to disable it -- there are some isps in the world that
charge by the amount of data that are transferred, and going ahead
and downloading links, the majority of which would never be followed,
would be expensive to users who have such isps. additionally, we'd
soon have browser caches full of crap from the advertisement links on
pages. and there are many of us who have links that we go directly
to, and go no further.

then there's the matter of people who use their browsers to download
files. how nice for them, getting to do battle with the caching of
everything else on the page!

in short, it sounds like something frought with danger and
impracticality.

]