List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The auto-cache feature I asked about...
From:       dep <dep () snet ! net>
Date:       2000-03-16 3:03:51

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Chris Lee wrote:

[a bunch of stuff in an attachment having to do with a browser
caching function that transparently d/ls links on a web page as that
page is being viewed, to give the impression of a greater connect
speed]

if somrthing like this were implemented, it would certainly need to
have a switch to disable it -- there are some isps in the world that
charge by the amount of data that are transferred, and going ahead
and downloading links, the majority of which would never be followed,
would be expensive to users who have such isps. additionally, we'd
soon have browser caches full of crap from the advertisement links on
pages. and there are many of us who have links that we go directly
to, and go no further.

then there's the matter of people who use their browsers to download
files. how nice for them, getting to do battle with the caching of
everything else on the page!

in short, it sounds like something frought with danger and
impracticality.

--
dep