List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RE: Some Inspiration for Konqi Developers
From:       Christopher Molnar <molnarc () nebsllc ! com>
Date:       2000-03-10 16:44:21

I'm not sure if my question on the security made it to
the list, but if konqy includes a console than we need
some way to shut it off. This could be a security risk.
If my message didn't make it I can repost. I gave an
example.

Quoting Simon Hausmann <shaus@helios.med.Uni-
Magdeburg.DE>:

> Dan is very right. IMHO one of the very most
important rules of Konqueror
> is to stay a browsing-only app. It's meant to view,
and only view, all
> sorts of stuff. It is not meant to do something ;-)
(well, konqueror is
> meant to do something, but the user is not meant to
edit documents or so
> ;-)
>
> File management is an exception here, because of
historical reasons
> ;-) and because .. well.. some app has to implement
it ;-)

> One way to sort of stress this point is that all
components which are
> embedded into Konqueror are so-called ReadOnly parts.
>
> A terminal emulation might be a second exception, I
don't know.
> Hoever I (personally) would never embed a terminal
emulation into
> konqueror, because I wouldn't see any sense in it
(that way I would also
> want to embed kicker and kdesky in it ;-))
>
> I guess Dawit's plan is to rather add a mini-cli (!
=xterm) , or?

> Just my 0.02 cents :-)
>

> Ciao,
>  Simon
>
> On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Dan Pilone wrote:
>
> > 	Umm.. maybe I'm being too old school, but are
you guys sure
> > you want to embed konsole into konq?  I realize
it's being done
> > through parts and all, but is konq turning into
the "do-it" app?  I
> > started thinking along those lines when I clicked
on a text file the
> > other day and kword appeared embedded in konq to
view the file.  I'm
> > not saying all this is a bad idea, but I just
wanted to throw that out
> > there for discussion before clicking on an mp3
player embeded kmp3 in
> > konq.  Should there be a line drawn somewhere?
Personally I don't
> > like the way FileRunner looked.  Konqi is very
sleek compared to
> > that.  Anyway, just my $.02. -- Dan

Christopher Molnar
Red Hat Certified Engineer