List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Excellent! (fwd)
From:       Rivyn (Casey Shobe) <rivyn () mailandnews ! com>
Date:       2000-03-10 7:15:18

On Wed, 08 Mar 2000, Mark Zealey wrote:
> The KDE themes on your site look excellent.  I only wish KDE 2.0 would
> finally come out of beta testing.  It seems like everyone is waiting
> till the end of the first quarter to release their stuff.  Sun with
> Solaris 8, Be with BeOS 5.0 (which by the way I am very fond of.  I
> currently use BeOS 4.5.2 and I notice one of your themes looks
> suspiciously like the BeOS window system), XFree86 4.0, Linux kernel
> 2.4.x, and finally KDE.  It kind of sucks to have to wait for so long
> for everyone to have to release something.  Especially when many
> promises were made months ago about releases.  XFree86 has broken their
> own timetable so repeatedly that I do not take seriously anything they
> say anymore.  Linus and the kernel developers were projecting the
> release of the 2.4.x kernels for mid to late December of last year.  In
> all fairness the KDE folks have been the most responsible not to get
> anyone's hopes up.

You try developing software, working with hundreds of other people, then
promise a release date and wonder what the hell you're gonna do when a major
bug turns up and you have to rewrite 90% of the code and other developers aren't
moving at the same pace you are.  KDE is not even in beta yet, it's not even in
alpha, it's in PRE-ALPHA - the longer it takes, the better a product it will
be.  Would you rather the developers put together everything that they've got
stable so far so you can have a really limited and buggy WM?  Or would you
rather wait a little while and let most of the bugs work themselves out, new
features to become stable, and have a much greater WM?  If KDE2 was transferred
from CVS to final today, you'd get what you currently have in CVS.  Is that
what you want?

When KDE2 is stable and ready for release, the name will be changed to KDE 2
instead of KDE 2 Pre-Alpha.  With Alphas and Betas in between, I'd imagine.

- Rivyn [ Casey Allen Shobe ]
- rivyn@mailandnews.com [ UIN: 1494523 ]