List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kmail,mail formats--some assistance needed
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       2000-03-07 15:53:05

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Rik Hemsley wrote:

> #if Roberto Alsina
> > If Kmail's mailboxes are ordinary mbox things, each email begins in a line
> > that starts with "From " (notice the space!) and that's all.
>
> Correct.
>
> > > Especially, are there any naming
> > > conventions for the files in which mails are stored or for the (hidden)
> > > .index files? (I think about reading mails stored by other email
> > > clients).
> >
> > The .index files should be rebuildable from the mboxes and not necessary
> > for programs other than kmail, but I'll let the kmail people speak on this
> > ;-)
>
> Again, correct. Index files are 'proprietary' - there's no standard
> for them. You just create them yourself for a speed kick.
>
> > > Could someone please explain that or point me to the right document?
> >
> > I am not sure there IS a document for this, it's more like oral tradition.
>
> Right. There is no standard for mbox, though the format is so simple
> it's hardly worth writing one.
>
> As Roberto says, messages are separated by lines starting with "From ".
> This means you have to rewrite message bodies that have lines beginning
> with "From ". Did I mention mbox corrupts your mail ? :)

Use MMDF instead of sendmail (hey, it comes with SCO!) and your mailbox
will use "^A^A^A^A^A\n" as message separator ;-)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
The stone age didn't end for a lack of stone" Firoz Rasul