List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt note editor ready (knoteedit ????)
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       2000-02-29 15:52:46

Joerg Anders wrote:

> A Qt based note editor on Linux (GPL, very beta) is ready:
>
> http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~ja/noteedit/noteedit.html
>
> Because it is a Qt program I plan to transform it into a KDE
> application (if ther is enough interest).

Great!
You should consider join us at kde-multimedia@kde.org, it's a very
low traffic list (in fact, I would say, too low :-), but that's because
we're busy developing instead of talking :-) )

> Properties
> ==========
>
>    * insertion/deletion/modification of notes, rests, dotted notes, slured
>      notes, clefs, time signatures, key signatures on different staffs;

Cool

>    * building accords;
>    * playing on /dev/sequencer (if correctly configured) whereby:
>         o giving each staff a different voice;
>         o giving each staff a different channel;
>         o highlighting the played notes;
>         o setting midi tempo;
>    * saving an restoring the files. The file format is similarily to the
>      format of the music publication program (MUP):
>         http://www.arkkra.com
>      So you if you are a MUP user you have the possibility to convert
>      the files into Midi and Postscript.
>
> Planned
> =======
>
> *More edit features: copy, past, block delete, undo, ...
> *More music elements: beams, tuplets, repeat, ...
> *export MusicTex
> *export Midi
> *import Midi
>
> Conditiones
> ===========
>
> The program is tested on S.u.S.E. Linux 6.2, Qt-1.44-62, and soundcard
> AWE-64. I used egcs-2.91.66 . I tried to program machine independend. But
> there is an "#include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/soundcard.h" which can
> cause a lot of soundcard depencies. (???)) To tell the truth: Actually I
> don't know how to control the /dev/sequencer device. I adopted some code
> from other programs. So I can't guaranty the sound works on all soundcards.

Recently, libkmid was added to the kdelibs module. You can use it to play
the music. It's the lib that KMid is using and it's tested to work with
OSS (external midi, fm, awe, gus and softoss devices) and (since yesterday)
with ALSA. Also, even if coolo (Hi coolo :) ) thinks it doesn't, it _is_
multiplatform as it works in at least three platforms : Linux, FreeBSD
and OpenBSD :-)  Seriously, it should work wherever OSS works, and it's
said to work on Irix and some other weird OSs.

The soundcard.h include is also hidden by libkmid (you just use the
given classes to access the midi)
Also, I'm thinking to add music support to at least one game from kdegames
(so that other people see how easy it is and continue porting other games :) )

Btw, libkmid's homepage is at http://www.arrakis.es/~rlarrosa/libkmid.html
But it doesn't include the latest version, which is always on kdelibs.

Anyone has a favourite game that would like to hear some music while
playing ?

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez