List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE, Gnome, Koffice, Goffice and more
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-02-27 23:51:58

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 12:14:01AM +0100, Konrad Wojas wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 06:33:40PM +0000, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> > #if Greg Lee
> > > A week ago when I couldn't get KDE up at all, I installed GNOME, to
> > > see how it's coming along.  There's an installation option to put
> > > KDE apps into the GNOME menus.  I thought that was a nice thing
> > > to do.
> >
> > Cool :) Not that I use any, but wouldn't it be nice to scan for
> > Gnome apps and place them into the non-KDE apps menu ? Under an
> > entry called 'Gnome' I mean, not just intermingled with gv, gvim
> > etc.
>
> Since KDE2 and Gnome use the same .desktop format it's as easy as
> creating a symlink in $KDEDIR/share/applnk/ to /usr/share/gnome/apps/
>
> This way you don't have to rescan your hard disk if you install a new
> Gnome app.

_Almost_ the same format.
It works, but icons don't show up (remember Kurt? We tried that at LWE).

If we want the compatibility to go further, we'll have to agree
on a standard for the Icon field as well (whether to include
the extension, but also where to look for the icons)...

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org