List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KLocale and default values
From:       Andre Charbonneau <gexcfxyy () umail ! corel ! com>
Date:       2000-02-23 18:34:30

Hans Petter Bieker wrote:

> KLocale will only use LANG for translations. I/O formating (dates, money,
> numbers etc) will not be affected. LANG is only used as a fallback if the
> language is not set in the config files (kdeglobals or appnamerc).
>
> The reason is simply that I/O formating depends on countries/location
> while LANG only defines the language. (Actually that's not 100 %
> true; LANG is in the format lang_LOCATION.CHARSET.)

Why doesn't KLocale use the nl_langinfo function to set its default
values?  This way, when a user changes his/her locale setting using
environment variables, then KDE applications would also change according
to the new locale settings.  (Or maybe it does change but I'm not aware
of it...)

Cheers,
--
Andre Charbonneau