List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KLocale and default values
From:       Hans Petter Bieker <bieker () stud ! ntnu ! no>
Date:       2000-02-21 17:53:02

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Andre Charbonneau wrote:

> I was wondering if a KLocale instance uses the current os-level locale
> setting (defined with the LANG env variable) to set its default values,
> or does it always defaults the something basic like the "C" locale using
> hardcoded default values?  In other words, if I change the LANG
> environment variable to another locale, will an application using
> KLocale for I/O formatting be affected or not?
> Does anyone have any information about this subject?

KLocale will only use LANG for translations. I/O formating (dates, money,
numbers etc) will not be affected. LANG is only used as a fallback if the
language is not set in the config files (kdeglobals or appnamerc).

The reason is simply that I/O formating depends on countries/location
while LANG only defines the language. (Actually that's not 100 %
true; LANG is in the format lang_LOCATION.CHARSET.)

-bieker-

Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Engineering Cybernetics
                 bieker@stud.ntnu.no / bieker@kde.org