List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Display technologies in KDE
From:       Bo Thorsen <gobo () imada ! sdu ! dk>
Date:       2000-02-07 9:51:48

On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Dirk Schönberger wrote:

> > > KAAPainter, KAAPaintDevice, KAAMetafile, KAAPrinter, KAAImage.

This is wrong design; they should be encapsulated in the same class and at
runtime be configured with a boolean flag. Yes, I know it's harder to do
in the first place.

> > > In the base version KAAPrinter would send normal PS codes to a printer.
> > > Until we really need alpha-channel images or such, we don't need our own
> > > printer driver sub-system,
> > > perhaps we can print to KAAImage and output this on a printer?
>
> So what is the general opinion about such a graphics API?
>
> ( ) Qt does all we need, why invent something new?

No, Qt does not do all we need. Antialiasing and transparency is and --
according to tt guys on qt-interest -- will not be part of Qt in the near
future. So if we want this, we have to implement it ourselves.

Personally I would really love to see some sort of drawing scheme like the
new Quartz engine in Mac OS X. Check out the article in ars technica:
http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/1q00/macos-x-gui/macos-x-gui-1.html
this shows some of the effects this kind of technology can realize.

--

Bo Thorsen
gobo@imada.sdu.dk