List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: KDE2 feature needed!
From:       Jono Bacon <jonobaconlists () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2000-02-03 12:16:58

> Anyone interested in working on better laptop
> support?

What kind of better support?

>    I have another feature that I think is really
> needed for KDE2.  I
>  think we really need to have a "Briefcase" feature
> for people with a
>  desktop and a laptop.  It would need to be both a
> file service and a
>  program synchronization tool.  For instance it
> could handle calendar
>  synchronization, konqueror bookmark
> synchronization, kmail
>  synchronization, even database updates.  It would
> also allow working
>  files to be "checked out" on the laptop and then
> checked back in
>  later.  Things to that effect.  It would also be
> nice there were a
>  desktop app or control panel with an option to
> easily handle SMB or
>  NFS mounts over to the laptop.  Comments?

I think this is a great idea. Interfacing a laptop
with a main system would be of great use to industry,
placing KDE more on the laptop if it is implemented
well.

I would suggest the use of wizards for guiding users
through hooking together the machines, and transfering
information.

I am sure I have seen a KBreifcase or something
similer on Freshmeat as well.

Cheers,

       Jono