List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Display technologies in KDE
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       2000-02-02 9:54:45

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> Roberto Alsina wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> >

> > >   Hi
> > >
> > >   Yesterday I've read an article about the new display technology of
> > > MacOS, that is based in PDF, available at :
> > >
> > >  http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/1q00/macos-x-gui/macos-x-gui-1.html
> > >
> > >   AFAIK, GNUStep uses Postscript display technology, GNOME uses
> > > the GNOME Canvas that is also based in Postscript
> >
> > Is it? In what way?
>
> Quoted from the GNOME Canvas documentation :
>
>  "
[snip]
>  The second rendering model
> is based on Libart, a sophisticated library for manipulating and
> rendering vector paths using antialiasing and alpha compositing. Libart
> provides a superset of the PostScript imaging model, allowing for
> extremely high-quality displays. ..."

As far as I can see, this only means that Libart can produce any graphic
postscript can, and then some. It's radically different from something
like display postscript (or in Quartz, display PDF), where you actually
feed postscript code to the display engine.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
The stone age didn't end for a lack of stone" Firoz Rasul