List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: Virtual Keyboard for KDE2
From:       Dima Rogozin <dima () mercury ! co ! il>
Date:       2000-01-27 16:40:54

> - Is it possible to send keyboard commands to any X11 and/or KDE
> applications so the applications don't need to be changed? Writing an
> input
> driver for X11 is NOT the way I intended to use. Under the plain old
> windows
> 95 this would be called a hook mechanism.

	Modern X11 comes with Test extensions allowing you to both intercept
events passed from mouse/keyboard to an application and emulate the events
from you application to another one as if it comes from X server. Do xdpinfo
and see extensions installed on your X server. Common names are Text, XTest,
Replay.

	Another way would be to emulate events with XSendEvent call. This
method does not depend on X extension to be present but is less reliable.
AFAIK, your code must be part of the application code to do that.

> - Is it possible to let the virtual keyboard plug into the titlebar of any
> KDE application (I heard it is possible in KDE2 with the new plugins) so
> the
> virtual keyboard application is launched whenever necessary?

	No idea about this one -;)

	Dima.