List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Virtual Keyboard for KDE2
From:       "Hummel, Timo" <timo.hummel () sap ! com>
Date:       2000-01-27 16:24:41

Hello,

I've been planning to develop a virtual keyboard for KDE2. The main purpose
of this application is to provide an onscreen-keyboard for users who don't
have a keyboard (mostly web shops or flat-panel-pc's). Since I never coded a
X11/KDE application, I have the following questions (I'm *not* a newbie to
C/C++, I've been coding applications for over 10 years now):

- Is it possible to send keyboard commands to any X11 and/or KDE
applications so the applications don't need to be changed? Writing an input
driver for X11 is NOT the way I intended to use. Under the plain old windows
95 this would be called a hook mechanism.

- Is it possible to let the virtual keyboard plug into the titlebar of any
KDE application (I heard it is possible in KDE2 with the new plugins) so the
virtual keyboard application is launched whenever necessary?

When both things are possible and other developers want to join the
development, just drop me a line and I'll make everything ready for the
project named "KVirtualKeyboard" :)

Best regards
Timo